Thursday, January 26, 2012

Labor and Delivery story :)






This is going to be my labor and delivery experience! :) My water broke on January 7th around six o'clock PM. at home. I was just about to eat dinner until I felt a little gush of water and I didn't know if it was just discharge at first so I went into the bathroom to check and I just kept leaking clear odorless liquid and then knew my water had broke. When I told Jake this he was running around getting all of the hospital bags in the car, putting a towel on the seat for the way to the hospital and calling everyone we know. He was in such a panic mode it was cute. After I put a pad on I went and ate some oreo's and then decided we should go to the hospital. We waited about an hour and a half until heading to the hospital. When we got there around 8 at night they made sure it was actually my water that had broke. I wasn't having any contractions (that I could feel) at this point so the nurse had me walk around the hospital for an hour before getting checked into a labor and delivery room. Having my water break was automatic admittance and they don't let you go home after that. After I got into my Labor and delivery room with Jake, my mom and Eva, they hooked me up to my IV and a heart monitor for Kaiden and another monitor to watch my contractions. The IV was the worst part because she didn't get a vain on my left hand she had to do it again on the right hand. It sucked being hooked up to everything because every time I wanted to get up and walk or go to the bathroom I had to call a nurse in to unhook me. I still didn't have any contractions that whole night and we all tried to get some sleep. The next day in the morning of the 8th of January they started me on pitocin which is supposed to jump start labor and contractions. It took most of the day until I started to feel contractions. They first started me on a low dose of pitocin and kept increasing it when the nurse would come in. Once they got really strong the nurse came in and asked if I wanted the epidural. Since I have an extremely low pain tolerance I got the epidural which what seemed really scary before I got it, I was sitting on the bed crying my eyes out because I was scared how much it would hurt, I didn't look at the needle either. Luckily my mom Jake and Eva all got to be in the room to comfort me. The lady who gave me the epidural was extremely rude and didn't seem to care how scared I was. Luckily the epi didn't even hurt at all. It felt like when you have a small ache in your back and you need to pop your back. I don't see how mom's go with out an epidural. After the epidural I just needed to dilate more. I was at 3cm for a long time (until later that night) and didn't seem to be progressing much. I also had to put on an oxygen mask because his heart rate would drop whenever I had a contraction. This is the first time they introduced the idea that I might have to get a C-section, which REALLY scared me because I didn't know anything about getting a c-section and had definitely not planned on getting one. So they waited two more hours to see if I had progressed and with a huge relief the next time they checked me I was at 7CM. Only 3 more CM to go. We waited hours to see if I could keep progressing but unfortunately I wasn't. This is when they came in again for the second time saying I was going to have to get a c-section. and this time they were really positive about it. Jake even got the scrubs they make people wear to be in the room. This whole time it was a resident nurse who was checking me and NOT the doctor who was on call. To avoid a c-section my mom and Jake called in the doctor to ask if she thought there was anything that we could do. The doctor then came in and realized that Kaiden was stuck behind my pubic bone and that's why I wasn't dilating. (The resident nurse who was still learning had no idea what she was doing!!) So the doctor then made me change positions and within an hour I was 10cm dilated! :) If it had been the doctor who was there the whole time instead of the nurse it would have saved me so much time of being in labor and I would have had him way sooner! But in saying that I got lucky I had such an awesome doctor and not a doctor who didn't care and just said I needed a C-section. At around six O'clock January 9th almost 2 days later, I was finally ready to push. I had got the epidural so I had figured I wouldn't feel all the pain that labor entails, BUT my epidural had wore off for the second time and the nurse would not do anything about it. So I had felt everything, I pretty much had a natural labor. After pushing for three hours Kaiden was born at 8:57 AM on January 9th. weighing 7lbs. 2oz. and he was 19 1/2 inches long. They had set him on my chest for not even a minute before taking him to the NICU. :/ They had to put him on anti-biotics for a week because he had a high risk of infection since he wasn't born until 39 hours after my water broke. This was really upsetting because I thought he would be able to stay with me until the next day and then we would go home. So after ten long days in the hospital later we got to take our baby boy home. :) Yes, it was a horrible labor experience but everything was worth having Kaiden here and having him come home healthy. A word of advice would be to stick up for yourself because honestly not all the nurses and doctors always know what their talking about. But that's my labor and delivery story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment